A Talk on IPC Power Supply application occasions and corresponding regulations
In this article, we will first explain frequently used regulations for IPC power supply.
This requirement set up by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) is the most basic regulatory requirement. Not only IPC power supplies are bound by the requirements, general PC power supplies should also meet the requirements. The requirement level/item/excess may also vary.
The IEC61000 series stresses electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). It is composed of two main parts: electromagnetic interference (EMI) and electromagnetic susceptibility (EMS).
＊EMI limits power supply itself from emitting energy that interferes with other parts.
＊EMS verifies power supply itself has the ability to withstand external interferences.
The frequently required items of IEC61000 are:
- IEC 61000-3-2 Limits for harmonic current emissions
- IEC 61000-3-3 Voltage fluctuations and flicker
- IEC 61000-4-2 Electrostatic discharge immunity
- IEC 61000-4-3 Radiated, radio-frequency, electromagnetic field immunity
- IEC 61000-4-4 Electrical fast transient/burst immunity•IEC 61000-4-5 Surge immunity
- IEC 61000-4-6 Immunity to conducted disturbances,induced by radio-frequency fields
- IEC 61000-4-8 Power frequency magnetic field immunity
- IEC 61000-4-11Voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations immunity
In addition to the frequently required items, the IEC61000 series also has verification standards that exists for industrial environment (or heavy industry) requirements.
- IEC 61000-6-2 Immunity standard for industrial environments
- IEC 61000-6-4 Emission standard for industrial environments
Specifically, IEC/EN 61000-6-2 / IEC 61000-6-4 is applicable for any device connected to the power network supplied by high-voltage or medium-voltage transformers. These transformers are specifically used for supply devices, material feeding manufacturing or similar factories and are intended for operation at or nearby an industrial location. It is also applicable for battery operated equipment in industrial venues.
Applicable power supply of FSP for industrial environment:FSP500-70AGB / FSP600-80PSA(SK) / FSP850-50FGPH3
In addition to IEC61000 Series, IPC power supplies also encounter operating environments. Their corresponding regulations are as follows:
- IEC 61850-3 Ethernet switch used in the substation environment(Communication networks and systems for power utility automation)
The IEC61850-3 Communication networks and systems include many definitions of anti-interference standards. In addition to the inclusion of the frequently required items for the IEC61000 Series, they also require:
- IEC61000-4-12（Damped Oscillatory Wave Immunity Test )
- IEC61000-4-16（Immunity to conduction, common mode disturbances in the frequency range of 0 Hz to 150 kHz）
- IEC61000-4-17（Ripple on d.c. input power port immunity test）
- IEC61000-4-29（Voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations on D/C input power port）
- The system should be able to operate at the wide temperature range of -40°C to +75°C.
- Shockproof--The equipment must meet 50G shockproof and 5-500 Mhz shockproof requirements in order to ensure the equipment can continue to operate after falling from its rack-mounted installation in the cabinet.
Applicable power supply for the Ethernet switch used in the FSP substation environment: FSP120-AHAN3
- IEC 60945 Maritime navigation and radio communication equipment and systems
IEC 60945 is frequently complemented by IACS standard verification.
- IACS E10 International Association of Classification Societies
Due to the special ship environment and that communication devices are usually installed on the cockpit or deck, there are special definitions for high/low temperature, high humidity, sunshine, vibration, salt spray, and other requirements.
Applicable power supply for FSP Maritime navigation and radio communication equipment and systems: FSP150-K24-12
- EN 50155 Electronic equipment used on rolling stock
- EN 50121-3-2 Electromagnetic compatibility rolling stock Apparatus
For electronic equipment in railway applications, the system must be more reliable than standardized embedded computers and must withstand more applications. Assuming the system life of 250,000 hours without malfunction is required, it means the train control system must be designed to withstand the harshest environment. To achieve this objective, it means harsher verification standards must be met:
- The system must be able to operate within the wide temperature range of -40°C to +85°C.
- Vibration -- The requirements for harsh shocks and vibrations. The requirements include the proposition of a separate standard (BS EN 61373).
- Input voltage range -- 10-40V, 18-72V, and 40-160V converters are commonly used.
- Electromagnetic compatibility -- The electromagnetic compatibility requirement for rolling stock apparatus must be met (EN 50121-3-2).
- Performance and reliability -- Very special quality processes must be set up to meet such high MTBF requirements.
Applicable power supply of FSP for Electronic equipment used on rolling stock：FSP150-H135-12A
Differences between personal computers and industrial computers in terms of security regulation requirements
General (household use)
PC power supply
IPC power supply
IPC power supply
For ship use
IPC power supply
For railway environment use
IPC power supply
IEC 61000-3-2 Limits for harmonic current emissions
IEC 61000-3-3 Voltage fluctuations and flicker
IEC 61000-4-2 Electrostatic discharge immunity
IEC 61000-4-3 Radiated, radio-frequency, electromagnetic field immunity
IEC 61000-4-4 Electrical fast transient/burst immunity
IEC 61000-4-5 Surge immunity
IEC 61000-4-6 Immunity to conducted disturbances, induced by radio-frequency fields
IEC 61000-4-8 Power frequency magnetic field immunity
IEC 61000-4-11 Voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations immunity
IEC 61000-6-2 Immunity standard for industrial environments
IEC 61000-6-4 Emission standard for industrial environments
IEC 61000-4-12 Damped Oscillatory Wave Immunity Test
IEC 61000-4-16 Immunity to conduction, common mode disturbances in the frequency
range of 0 Hz to 150 kHz
IEC 61000-4-17 Ripple on d.c. input power port immunity IEC 61000-4-29 Voltage dips,
short interruptions and voltage variations on D/C input power port
IEC 61850-3 Ethernet switch used in the substation environment
IEC 60945 Maritime navigation and radio communication equipment and systems
IACS E10 International Association of Classification /Societies
EN 50155 Electronic equipment used on rolling stock
EN 50121-3-2 Electromagnetic compatibility rolling stock apparatus
the above IPC application occasions and corresponding regulations only account for a small part of the IPC applicable scope. This article has been proposed to share on items more frequently asked by customers.
Learn more about FSP: AC/DC power supply manufacturer
FSP Group is one of the global leading power supply manufacturer. Since 1993, FSP Group has followed the management conception “service, profession, and innovation” to fulfill its responsibilities as a green energy resolution supplier.